Friday, July 18, 2014

Driving Day 4: Of the peculiar effects of nothingness on the mind of the author....

Today we crossed a lot of brown, scrubby desert. I have to admit, I was a nervous about being out in the middle of nowhere. The Nevada nowhere-ness seemed more extreme than that of Wyoming, or Nebraska, though that may have been partly in my head. Or maybe it's because Michael kept pointing out landmarks relating to the Donner party (yes, we basically followed their very ill-fated route through Utah and Nevada). Regardless, I was gripping the steering wheel very tightly after lunch (although Michael did most of the driving today) and I was very happy to see the outskirts of Sparks-Reno, with its gas stations and emergency services within easy reach. :)

We survived and made it to Reno and even had time to stop and take pictures of the salt flats in Utah, which were certainly impressive:


Tomorrow is our last (and shortest) day of driving, and we hope to be in Oakland around lunchtime. I'll be without internet for a few days, but hopefully that will give me time to put together a few more pics of our trip and our new neighborhood in Oakland!

1 comment: