Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Driving Day 2: On Trials and Tribulations

So, the bloom is most certainly off the rose for this portion of the trip. Day 2 was certainly a weird day. It started with me realizing that I have no idea where 2 of my most prized pieces of jewelry are--I think I left them in our rental house, but our landlady can't find them, so I have no idea what's happened. It's entirely possible I left them somewhere stupid, but for now, they are irretrievably lost. The loss is more sentimental than financial, but after 4 days of packing, moving, and driving, this has really thrown me for a loop, emotionally.

My personal problems were quite minor, however, compared to the news that greeted us when we reached Cheyenne at 5:30 Mountain Time: Semis collide, fire closes down I-80 near Wyoming border. So, we're honestly not sure if we can drive to Salt Lake as planned tomorrow, or if we're going to have to head (back) south to Denver and take I-70 to Utah.

That all being said, western Nebraska and Wyoming have some dramatic, sweeping scenery as well as excellently paved roads (I am becoming a connoisseur of concrete this trip).


And, I've been so happy with how well Sophie has taken to travelling: she's reacted quite well to being in a different hotel room every evening:


And she really liked having a king bed to share with us last night.

So, please send us good thoughts for tomorrow, as we cross our fingers I-80 stays open so we can get to Salt Lake!

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure you packed your jewelry on a brilliant location that you can't remember right now. You'll find it at some point and remember what a good idea that place was. No worries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really sorry to hear about your jewelry and I am going to agree with Hillary and hope it is found upon arrival in CA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the good wishes, guys! I will let you know if they ever turn up.

    ReplyDelete